The Buffalo Bills made Mario Williams the highest paid defensive player in the history of the NFL today. Williams agreed to a 6-year, $100 million deal with the Bills Thursday after playing his first six seasons in the league with the Houston Texans. Williams received a 6-year, $54 million deal after being selected first overall by the Texans in the 2006 draft.
He’ll need a bulk of that cash to burn to keep him warm during those brutal Buffalo winters.
The impressive number associated with Mario’s new monstrous deal is not the $100 million, but the $50 million guaranteed. Due to terms of NFL contracts, and the tendency of injuries, it is unlikely he will ever play out all six years of his contract. This is what makes the guaranteed money so important in contract negotiations in the NFL.
So now that the ink has dried on Mario’s new contract, what is a man to buy with $50 million? Check out this list of 10 ways he could spend his money.
1. Boardwalk Empire Pilot Episode – HBO spent $50 million dollars on one episode, making it the most expensive show ever produced by the network.
2. LeBron James’ Coral Gables Mansion – James paid $50 million for Pat Riley’s former estate. It has been reported that his monthly mortgage payment is just a shade under $500,000.
3. Gulf Stream G550 Jet – For $50 million, Mario can fly in luxury in a private jet.
4. World’s largest gold coin – The Australian mint produced the world’s largest gold coin that is worth more than $50 million. It weighs 2.2 tons. Crazy Aussies.
5. 5,000 entries to World Series of Poker – Williams could pay the $10,000 buy-in for every student and faculty member at Samford University to play in the WSOP no-limit hold’em main event. He would still have enough leftover to buy Richard Scrushy’s mansion on Lake Martin.
6. Annual salaries for over 1,200 Alabama teachers– The average teacher salary in Alabama is just over 40k per year. Williams could pay for over 1,200 teachers to work for a year.
7. One year of tuition at the University of Alabama for almost 6,000 students – The current price of tuition at Alabama is $4,300 per semester for residents of the state. He could pay for 5,813 students to attend college for a year.
8. 14 thirty-second commercials during the Super Bowl – $3.5 million was the average cost for a 30-second ad during this year’s Super Bowl.
9. 3,225 new Ford Fiestas – At an average price of $15,500, Mario could have a massive fleet of tiny American-made cars that he wouldn’t be able to drive because of his 6’6 285lb frame.
10. Pay for over 600,000 fans to attend a Bills game – The average cost of a ticket to a Bills game is $83. He could purchase over 600,000 tickets or pay for 8.5 sold out crowds at Ralph Wilson Stadium (70,079 seating capacity).