|IN THE CIRCUIT COURT OF TUSCALOOSA COUNTY, ALABAMA
6TH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
SARAH GRIMES, )
VS. )CASE NO.
KRISTEN SABAN, )
1. The Plaintiff is over the age of nineteen (19) years; and she is
attending the University of Alabama.
2. The Defendant is over the age of nineteen (19) years; and she is
attending the University of Alabama.
3. In August 2010, Kristen Saban and Sarah Grimes were friends and
4. On Saturday, August 28, 2010, Kristen Saban, McKinnon
Moultrie, Hannah Muncher, and Meaghan Williams were playing “power hour”
which is a drinking game on YouTube, where you drink every time the song
5. Sarah Grimes arrived around 11:00 pm and began playing “power
6. Around 12:00 a.m., August 29, 2010, Kristen, McKinnon, Hannah,
Meaghan, and Sarah went to the bar called Rounders.
6/26/2012 10:39 AM
CIRCUIT COURT OF
TUSCALOOSA COUNTY, ALABAMA
MAGARIA HAMNER BOBO, CLERK
7. At the bar, the drinking continued and Kristen’s behavior became
8. Kristen had been dating “BV” who was also at Rounder’s that
9. Kristen became angry with “BV” because he was not paying
enough attention to her.
10. Kristen, Hannah, and Sarah stayed at the bar until last call when
the lights came on, and Kristen had to sign her tab.
11. The plan was to go back home to freshen up and then go over to a
pledge sister’s house.
12. “BV” was also going, so Kristen wanted to go as well.
13. Kristen drove everyone back home where everyone gathered in the
kitchen and had a snack.
14. Kristen became upset with “BV” again, while talking over the
15. Kristen was lying on the floor next to McKinnon and Hannah
saying how everyone did not understand “how it was” for her and Kristen became
16. After Kristen refused to get off the floor after several people had
tried to help her, Sarah looked over at Kristen and said, “Kristen, please just shut
up. We’re all sick and tired of hearing it.”
17. Kristen jumped up off the floor screaming “No one likes you, you
don’t have any friends” and stormed to her room.
18. Sarah was laughing at this point because it was not unusual
behavior for Kristen and made the comment, “You really need therapy.”
19. Kristen then screamed at Sarah, “Yeah, because that obviously
worked so well for you!” and then slammed her bedroom door.
20. Everyone in the kitchen was used to seeing Kristen behave this
way, and no one thought much of it.
21. About thirty minutes later, Hannah went to check on Kristen in her
room and closed the door.
22. For the next thirty or so minutes, Courtney, McKinnon and Sarah
were lying in Courtney’s bed (across the hall from Kristen’s) with the door open,
waiting to go to the Waffle House.
23. Sarah checked her Facebook via her phone and saw that Kristen
had posted a status saying “No one likes Sarah! Yayyyyy!”
24. Sarah showed Courtney her phone, and got up off the bed saying
25. Courtney cautioned Sarah from confronting Kristen about the
status because of her known violent nature and previous assault on others.
26. Sarah stated to Courtney, “Well if she touches me, I’ll kill her.”
27. Sarah walked across the hall, with her phone in hand and knocked
on Kristen’s door with the palm of her hand saying, “You’ve got five seconds to
take it off, or I’m going to tell everyone that you punched Daniel (Kristen’s
former boyfriend) in the face last week. Try me.”
28. Kristen did not respond but opened the door seconds later waving
her phone in Sarah’s face, causing Sarah to move backwards towards Courtney’s
29. Kristen was yelling, “I took it off, I took it off!”
30. Sarah responded, “That’s fine, but we’re done, you’re crazy.”
31. Kristen immediately used both of her hands and shoved Sarah into
the corner of Courtney’s open door, slamming Sarah’s head.
32. Sarah defended herself by pushing Kristen into the opposite wall,
saying “Don’t touch me.”
32. Kristen proceeded to punch Sarah Grimes multiple times in her
head and nose, and to pull Sarah’s hair, even though Kristen knew that Sarah had
really bad migraines from a prior head injury from an automobile accident.
33. By this time Meghan, who was outside in the parking lot, heard the
yelling and ran upstairs.
34. Sarah screamed “I’m calling the cops!”
35. Kristen’s grip on Sarah’s hair prevented Sarah from getting away
and they moved down the hall toward the kitchen as Sarah tried to get away.